1799 H.H. Ma’afu-‘o-limuloa, 15thTu’i Konokupolo, younger son of Mailelaumotomoto, 2ndMa’afu-‘o- Tukui’aulahi, of Vaini. Succeed on the death of Talai Tupou (his half brother?), 21st April 1799. He was k. (murdered) during the night after his installation, 22nd April 1799.
1799 - 1812 H.H. Tupou Malohi, 16thTu’i Konokupolo, fourth son of H.H. Mumui’i Topou’ila Mapatongiamanu, 13thTu’i Konokupolo, by his fourth wife, Pe’e. Succeed on the death of his uncle, 22nd April 1799. Installed at the Pangai Green, Kolovai, Hihifo, 29th May 1799. Unable to enforce his rule he went into voluntary exile in Fiji in 1800, returning only in 1805. Established his capital at Nuku’alofa. Submitted to Finau-‘Ulukalala in 1806 and then settled on Ha’apai. m. Latuniua (m. second, H.H. Samuelio Fatafehi Laufilitonga, 39thTu’i Tonga, by whom she had further issue), daughter of Kahomovailahi, 3rdTuita, by his wife, Princess Fatafehi Latufuipeka, 5thTamaha, eldest daughter of Latunipulu’i-teafua, 2ndTu’i Lakepa, by his wife, Princess Fatafehi Nanasipau’u, 8thTu’i TongaFefine. He d. on Ha’apai, 1812 (bur. at the Mala’e ‘Uiha, Ha’apai), having had issue, one son:
1) The Hon Setaleki Mumui (s/o Latuniua). Chief Justice ca. 1847-1853. m. (first) Princess Hepisipa Tu’ifangatukia, daughter of H.H. Samuelio Fatafehi Laufilitonga, 39thTu’i Tonga, by his fourth wife, Latu Fakahau. He had issue, two daughters by his first wife:
a) The Hon Tupou Tevita, ‘Ahome’e, of Ha’avakatolo, educ. Wesleyan Training Institution, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu. Chief Justice of Tonga 1876. m. Lavinia Longoa’ame’e. He had issue, two sons and one daughter:
i) The Hon Solomone Pita, 'Ahome'e, of Ha'avakatolo. b. at Ha'avakatolo, 17th May 1837. m. The Hon Fangafua 'Ahome'e, daughter of Sosaia Ata, by his wife, Tupou Vavahea. He d. at Ha'avakatolo, 1st August 1889, having had issue, a daughter:
ii) The Hon Taniela 'Otukulo, 'Ahome'e, of Ha'avakatolo. b. 30th March 1845. m. The Hon Siulolovau Vaea 'Ahome'e, daughter of 'Aisea Vau Mataele, by his wife, 'Ilaisipa Tu'ionetoa. He d. 21st September 1896, having had issue, one son and one daughter.
(1) The Hon Solomone 'Otukolo, 'Ahome'e of Ha'avakatolo. b. at Ha'avakatolo, 19th May 1870. m. at Nuku'alofa, 1897, The Hon Amelia Langilangi 'Ahome'e (b. 30th January 1881; d. 1960), fourth daughter of The Hon 'Uiliame Mae'aliuake, sometime Chief Justice of Tonga and Governor of Ha'apai, by his wife, Ma'ata Peleki, elder daughter of George Alexander Blake. He d. at Ha'avakatolo, 29th June 1936, having had issue, three sons:
(a) The Hon Tevita Manuopangai, 'Ahome'e, of Ha'avakatolo. b. at Kolomotu'a, Tongatapu, 23rd June 1898, educ. Tupou Coll., Nafualu, Tongatapu. Governor of Vav'au 1952-1957, and Ha'apai 1957-1959, Minister for Police 1959-1961. m. The Hon Heu'ifanga 'Ahome'e (d. December 1996, bur. Mala'e'aloa Cemetary), daughter of The Hon Fotu 'Afalefa, 2ndVeikune, sometime Governor of Vav'au, by his wife, Vaoholi, elder daughter of Siale 'Ataongo [Charles Ma'afu]. He d. at Nukualofa, 21st March 1961 (bur. Ha'avakatolo), having had issue, two sons and seven daughters:
(i) The Hon Viliami Vuna Tu’i’oetau Manu-‘o-Pangai, ‘Ahome’e, of Ha’avakatolo. b. 15th Febuary 1935, educ. Tupou Coll, Nafu’alu, Tongatapu, and Hendon Police Coll, London. Trustee for his cousin, Tu’i Veikune 1959-1965, Chief Inspector of Police 1974-1980, actg Supt 1980-1981, Supt 1981. m. at the Chapel Royal, Nuku’alofa, Tongataapu, 15th November 1966, The Hon Lavinia Veiongo ‘Ahome’e (b. at Mu’a, Tongatapu, 6th January 1931; d. 14th September 1991), elder daughter of The Hon Semisi Fatafehi, 3rdKalaniuvalu-Fotofili, by his wife, The Hon Sisilia Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili, elder daughter of Paula Tu’itavake Fanga. He d. at Nukualofa, 19th August 1981 (bur. Nukuma’anu Cemetery, Ha’avakatolo), having had issue, one son and one daughter, including:
1. The Hon Tevita Vuna Tu’i ‘o e Tau (‘Ahome’e), Lord ‘Ahome’e, of Ha’avakatolo. b. at Suva, Fiji, 17th October 1970, educ. Govt Primary Sch, and Tupou Coll, Nafu’alu, Tongatapu, and Wesley Coll, Paerata, New Zealand. Appointed to the Noble title of ‘Ahome’e, 1991. Master of the Royal Household 1998-2005, MLA for the Nobles of Tongatapu 2005-2006. m. April 2001, The Hon Tangikina Lahi Valevale, Lady ‘Ahome’e, rcvd: Mbr of the Order of the Crown of Tonga (31.7.2008), and King George Tupou V Coron Medal (31.7.2008), eldest daughter of The Hon Sitenimoa Valevale (Nuku), Nuku, Minister for Police, Fire Services and Prisons, by his wife, The Hon Takavaha Nuku, daughter of The Hon Vilisoni Fahitaha Namoa, Vaha’i, of Fo’ui. He d. suddenly from heart failure, at Los Angeles, California, USA, 9th February 2006 (bur. Nukuma’anu Cemetery, Ha’avakatolo), having had issue, two sons and one daughter:
a. The Hon Viliami Tu’i’oetau ‘Ahome’e.
b. The Hon Pavel Takangamoe Mafi ‘Ahome’e.
a. The Hon Lavinia Veiongo Latuniua ‘Ahome’e.
(ii) The Hon Tevita Manu-‘o-pangai ‘Ahome’e, educ. Tonga High Sch, Tongatapu. Trustee for his nephew, 25th September 1981-1991.
(i) H.M. Queen Halaevalu Mata’aho. b. 29th May 1926, educ. St Joseph’s Convent Sch, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, and St Mary’s Coll, Ponsonby, Auckland, New Zealand. Presdt Langafonua ‘a e Fefine Tonga (Tonga National Council for Women) 1965-2017, Tonga Red Cross Soc (TRCS) 1972-2017, Tonga Life Line Services, Queen Salote Ex-Students’ Assoc, Tupou Coll Parents & Teachers Assoc, etc. Patron Tonga Catholic Schools’ Ex-students Assoc, Tonga Girl Guides Assoc, Tonga Pan Pacific & South East Asia Women’s Assoc, Tonga Hospitals Cttee, etc. Mbr Regional Steering Cttee for Asia & Pacific on Economic Advancement of Rural Women 1995. Leader Tongan Delegation 4th World Conference on Women (Beijing) 1995. Rcvd: KGC of the Order of the Crown (31.7.2008), King George Tupou V Royal Family Order of Tonga (1.8.2011), King Taufa’ahau Tupou IV Coron Silver Jubilee (4.7.1992), King George Tupou V Coron (31.7.2008), and King Tupou VI Coron (4.7.2015), Queen Elizabeth II Coron (2.6.1953) and Silver Jubilee (11.6.1977) medals, GC (special grade) of the Order of the Propitious Clouds of Taiwan (19.9.1977), etc. m. at the Chapel Royal, Nuku’alofa, 10th June1947, H.M. Sia’osi Taufa’ahau Tupou IV, King of Tonga, GCMG, GCVO, KBE, KStJ (b. at the Royal Palace, Nuku’alofa, 4th July 1918; d. at the Mercy Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand, 10th September 2006), eldest son of H.M. Salote Mafile’o Pilolevu Veiongo Tupou III, Queen of Tonga, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, DStJ, by her husband, Colonel H.R.H. Prince Tamasi’ii ‘Uiliame Tungi Tupoulahi Mailefili Tuku’aho, Tungi, CBE. She d. at the Mercy Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand, 19th February 2017, having had issue, three sons and one daughter - see below.
(ii) The Hon Tupou Kolotulu Puloka. m. The Hon Dr Sioeli Tilitili Puloka (d. at Nukualofa, Tongatapu, 10th July 2004), educ. Tonga Coll, ‘Atele, Tongatapu, Central Medical Sch, Suva, Fiji, and Univ of Otago, New Zealand, Minister for Health 1995-1999. She had issue, three sons and one daughter:
(iv) The Hon Elenoa Ngatai’alupe Tupouniua. m. 1958, The Hon Mahe ‘Uli’ulu Tupouniua (b. at Nukualofa, 20th July 1927), educ. Tupou Coll, Nafualu, Tongatapu, and Auckland Univ (B. Com. 1953), New Zealand, Inspector of Taxes & Customs Officer 1956-1957, Govt Auditor 1957-1960, PC1961-1972, Treasurer & Minister for Finance 1961-1965, Deputy Prime Minister 1965-1972, Dir South Pacific Bureau for Economic Co-operation (SPEC) 1972-1979 & 1983-1986, Mbr NZ Parole Brd 1993-1996, son of Alipate Tupouniua. She has issue, one son and four daughters:
1. Mahe ‘Uli’uli Sandhurst Tupouniua [Mahe Tupouniua jnr], educ. Tonga Coll, ‘Atele, Tongatapu, and Auckland Univ (BA 1989), New Zealand. Hon Consul San Francisco 1992-1996, MLA for Kolofo’ou 1996-2001, First Secretary London 2001-2005, actg Sec for Foreign Affairs 2005, Deputy Permanent Rep & Counsellor to the UN since 2005. He has issue, including an eldest daughter:
a. Ngataialupe Tupouniua.
1. Lesina Tupouniua.
2. Eugenie Tupouniua.
3. The Hon Nicolette Tupou Moheofo [Lady Tu’iha’ateiho]. m. The Hon ‘Uiliame Veasi’i Veikune, son of The Hon Havea Salesi Tu’umohenga’uta (Veikune), 14th Lord Tu’iha’ateiho, by his wife, The Hon ‘Afu Ha’apai Veikune, daughter of The Hon Vaha’i. She has issue, two sons and one daughter - see Tonga (Tu’i Ha’atakalua).
4. Sela Kali Tupouniua, educ. Tonga Coll, ‘Atele, Tongatapu, and Auckland Univ (BA 1992), New Zealand.
(v) The Hon Kalolaine Taukapa Lata’ifalefehi [Lady Fakafanua]. m. 1957, The Hon Kinikinilau Lelea’a Fafine (Fakafanua), 6th Lord Fakafanua (b. at Siumafua’uta, Ma’ufanga, 7th May 1934; d. at the Queen's Medical Center, Honolulu, Oahu, the Hawaiian Islands, 13th May 2004, bur. Vakataumai Cemetery, Ma’ufanga), succ. as 7thFakafanua 7th May 1955, Presdt. Tonga Football Assoc., son of The Hon Kisione Lelea ‘a Fafine, 5thFakafanua, of Siumafua’uta, Ma’ufanga, Tongatapu and Faleloa, Ha’apai. She d. 26th July 2007 (bur. Vakataumai Cemetary, Ma’ufanga, Tongatapu), having had issue, three sons and four daughters:
1. The Hon Dr Kinikinilau Tuto’atasi (Fakafanua), 7th Lord Fakafanua. b. at Siumafua’uta, Ma’ufanga, 20th January 1962, educ. Auckland Univ (BCom 1983), Univ of Otago (LLB 1987, LLM 1991), New Zealand, and Lutheran Evangelical Faith Seminary, Tacoma, Washington, USA (DD 2000). Crown Counsel 1991, Governor of Ha’apai, PC 1991-2002, Minister for Labour, Commerce & Industries, and Tourism 1991-1995, Finance 1995-1998, Lands 1998-2001, and Education 2001, Property Mngr Manukau City Council, Auckland, NZ, 2001-2006. Presdt Tonga Rugby League. Appointed to succeed his father as 7thFakafanua, 3rd June 2004. Rcvd: GC of the Order of Queen Salote Tupou III (31.7.2008), and King George Tupou V Coron. Medal (31.7.2008). m. at the Chapel Royal, Nukualofa, 1984, H.R.H. Princess Sinaitakala ‘Ofeina-‘e he-Langi Fakafanua (b. at the Royal Palace, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 6th September 1953), rcvd: King Taufa’ahau Tupou IV Coron. Silver Jubilee (4.7.1992) and King George Tupou V Coron. (31.7.2008) medals, youngest daughter of H.R.H. Prince Sione Ngu Manumataongo Tupou, 5thFatafehiTu'iPelehake, KBE, by his wife, H.R.H. Princess Melenaite Tupou-Mohe’ofu, daughter of Hon ‘Inoke Sateki Matafonua Foru Veikune. He d. suddenly, at Hala Vuna, Ma’ufanga, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 24th February 2006 (bur. Vakataumai Cemetery, Ma’ufanga), having had issue, two sons and one daughter:
a. The Hon Fatafehi Kinikinilau Lolomana’ia Fakafanua.
b. The Hon Faka ‘olameilangi Itafua’atonga Tuto’atasi Fakafanua.
1. The Hon Si’atukimoana Tu’utangahunuhunu Vaea. m. The Hon Alipate Tu’ivanuavou Vaea (b. at Nukualofa, 19th September 1957), Master of the Household, son of The Hon Sia’osi Tu’ihala Alipate Tupou, Baron Vaea of Houma, sometime Prime Minister, by his wife, Tupoutapuki Pulotu, daughter of The Hon Siosaia Lausi’i, 7thMa’afu-‘o- Tukui’aulahi, of Vaini - see below.
2. ‘Akanesi Feangautapu Polotu Paunga. Snr Assist Secretary Women Affairs Unit in the PM’s Office. m. as his second wife, The Hon Dr Giulio Masasso Tu’ikolongahau Paunga, educ. Tonga Coll, and in Japan, Minister for Tourism, Labour, Trade, Commerce and Industries until 2005, Chair Tonga Development Bank 2003-2004.
3. Mele ‘Ala ki Hihifo Tu’iha’angana. m. The Hon Havea Tu’iha’angana, educ. Tonga High Sch, MP (Nobles) for Ha’apai since 1991, Chair Cttee of the Whole House 2005-2006, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly since 2006.
4. Ma’ata Taukapa Lata ‘i Falefehi Paea. m. Tanusia Paea, educ. Vava’u High Sch.
(vi) The Hon Va’etapu Melehifokivai ‘Ahome’e. unm.
(vii) The Hon ‘Amelia Latuniua [Lady Taumoepeau Tupou]. b. 1945. m. H.E. The Rt Hon Sonatane Tu’akinamolahi (Taumoepeau Tupou), Lord Taumoepeau Tupou, of Toula and Kotu (b. at Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 14th March 1943; d. at Vaiola Hospital, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 13th August 2013), educ. Newington Coll, Stanmore, NSW, Australia, and Univ of Hawai East West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (BA 1969), Assist Sec PM’s Office 1969-1971, csmd as 2nd-Lieut TDF 1971, First Sec London 1973-1977, Assist Sec Palace Office 1977, Deputy Sec Palace Office 1977-1978, Deputy Sec to Government 1978-1979, Sec Foreign Affairs Dept 1979-1983 & 1986-1999, and Sec Tonga Defence Brd 1979-1983, High Cmsnr at the Court of St James’s 1983-1986 (conc. Ambassador to the EU, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Denmark, USSR & USA), Permanent Rep to the UN General Assembly in New York, Ambassador to the USA & High Cmsnr Canada 1999-2004 and 2009-2013 (conc Ambassador to Chile, Cuba, Mexico, and Venezuela), Minister for Foreign Affairs 2004-2009, actg Minister for Defence 2005, and actg Governor of Vava’u 2005, invested with a life peerage with the title of Lord Taumoepeau Tupou of Toula and Kotu 28th March 1911 (appointed 30th December 2010), rcvd: GC of the Royal Military Order of St George (31.7.2009), and of the Order of Queen Salote Tupou III (31.7.2008), and King George Tupou V Coron (31.7.2008), and King Taufa’ahau Tupou IV Coron Silver Jubilee (4.7.1992) medals, adopted son of Tevita Faha’ivalu Taumoepeau, and son of The Hon Dr Samiuela Ma’afu Tupou, sometime Governor of Vava’u and Minister for Lands, by his wife, Luisa Ma’ume’afo’ou Taumoepeau Tupou. She d. at Vaiola Hospital, in Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 12th August 2007 (bur. Mala’e’aloa Cemetary), having had issue, two sons and two daughters:
1. Captain The Hon Christian David Faha’ivalu Taumoepeau-Tupou, educ. Tonga High Sch, Nuku’alofa. Cmsnd as 2nd Lieut TDS. Rcvd: Cdr of the Order of the Crown (31.7.2008), King George Tupou V Coron (31.7.2008), and King Tupou VI Coron (4.7.2015) medals. He has issue, three children:
a. Faha’ivalu Taumoepeau-Tupou.
b. Loloa’atonga Taumoepeau-Tupou.
c. Vakautafefine Taumoepeau-Tupou.
2. The Hon Taupasi Kotoakia Latasi Richard Toutoupau’u Taumoepeau-Tupou, educ. New York, USA. m. Lisiate Latasi Taumoepeau.
1. The Hon Marcella Margaret Tupoumoheofo Taumoepeau-Tupou [H.S.H. Princess Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili]. b. at Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 16th February 1977 (twin), educ. Queen Salote Coll, Tupou High Sch, and Tonga Inst of Education, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, and Univ of Auckland, New Zealand (BA Educ. 2000). Teacher at Queen Salote Coll. Rcvd: Mbr of the Order of Queen Salote Tupou III (30.6.2015), King George Tupou V Coron (31.7.2008), and King Tupou VI Coron (4.7.2015) medals. m. at the Sione Centenary Wesleyan Church, Kolomotu’a, Tongatapu, 28th August 2010, H.S.H. Tepiuti Tupoulahi Mailefihi Fatuilangi Ngalu Mo’etutulu, Prince Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili (b. at Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 24th May 1975), younger son of Major The Hon Sosi’ua Ngalumoetutulu (Fotofili), 4thKalaniuvalu-Fotofili, LVO, sometime Speaker of the Legislative Assembly & Vice-Presdt of the Privy Council, by his wife, H.R.H. Princess Mele Siu’ilikutapu Kalaniuvalu-Fotofili, eldest daughter of H.R.H. Prince Sione Ngu Manumata’ogo Tupou, Fatafehi Tu’i Pelehake, KBE. She has issue, one son – see Tonga (Tu’i Tonga).
2. The Hon Odette ‘Ainise Kilinalivoni Tupouohomohema Taumoepeau-Tupou [Adi Odette Ganilau]. b. at Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, 16th February 1977 (twin), educ. Queen Salote Coll, Tupou High Sch, Nuku’alofa, Tongatapu, and Univ of Auckland (BA 1999), Auckland, and Victoria Univ (MA 2003), Wellington, New Zealand. Anthropologist, Trainee Curator Tonga National Museum 1999-2003, Researcher Tonga Traditions Cttee 2005, Post Graduate Attaché Museum of New Zealand 2005, Researcher Musée du Quai Branly 2008, Assist Sec Ministry of Foreign Affairs 2008, First Sec Tongan Mission to UN since 2015. Rcvd: King George Tupou V Coron (31.7.2008), and King Tupou VI Coron (4.7.2015) medals. m. (first) (div.) Latuniua Vaea. m. (second) at the Seaside Chapel, Shangri-La Resort and Spa, Yanuka Island, Sigatoka, Fiji, 6th February 2016, Ratu Etuate Penaia Kamisese Tu’ivanuavou Ganilau, rcvd: Cdr of the Royal Household Order of Tonga (4.7.2015), and King Tupou VI Coron (4.7.2015) medal, elder son of Brigadier-General Ratu The Hon Epeli Gavidi Ganilau, MC, MSD, sometime Cdr Royal Fiji Military Forces and Chair of the Great Council of Chiefs (Bose Levu Vakaturaga), by his wife, Adi Ateca Moce Ganilau, eldest daughter of H.E. Ratu The Rt Hon Sir Kamisese Kapaiwai Tuimaicilai Mara, Tu’i Nayau, PC, GCMG, KBE, CF, KStJ, MSD, sometime President-General and C-in-C of Fiji. She had issue, three daughters by her first husband.
(1) The Hon Eleni Tutukikuo’ola Velelevu. b. 23rd June 1872. m. Semesi Velelevu, son of Tevita Ta’ofikaetau Tapuelelu, by his wife, Afukaipo’uli.
i) The Hon Mele Seini. b. 2nd July 1859. She had issue, a natural daughter by H.R.H. Crown Prince Nalesoni Laifone Unga - see below.
a) The Hon ‘Anaseini Tupou Finau-‘Ulukalala (d/o Princess Hepisipa). m. as his first wife, The Hon Nafetalai Matekitonga, 4thFinau-‘Ulukalala (b. 1833; d. 1877), eldest son Finau-‘Ulukalala-‘i-Pouno-Tuapasi’i Sefaria, Tu’i Vava’u and 3rdFinau-‘Ulukalala, by his second wife, Tupou Veiongo, daughter of Ikamafana II, 5thMa’atu. She had issue, one son - see Tonga (Vava'u).