1974 Colonel H.R.H. Paduka Sri Baginda Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Musta’in Billah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Sir Abu Bakar Riayat ud-din al-Mu’azzam Shah, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of the State of Pahang Dar ul-Mukmar. b. at Istana Mangga Tunggal, Bandar di-Raja Pekan, 24th October 1930, second son of Colonel H.R.H. Paduka Sri Baginda Sultan Sir Abu Bakar Riayat ud-din al-Mu’azzam Shah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Sir ‘Abdu’llah al-Muhtasim Billah Shah, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of the State of Pahang, GCMG, by his first wife, H.R.H. Raja Fatima binti al-Marhum Sultan Sir Iskandar Shah al-Kaddasu’llah, TengkuAmpuan, eldest daughter Colonel H.H. Paduka Sri Sultan Sir Alang IskandarShah II al-Kaddasu’llah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Sir Idris Murshid al-Azzam Rahmatu’llah Shah, Sultan of Perak, GCMG, KCVO, educ. Malay Sch, Pekan, Malay Coll, Kuala Kangsar, Clifford Coll, Kuala Lipis, Worcester Coll, Oxford, and Univ Coll. of South West England, Exeter, Devon. Cmsnd as 2nd Lieut 4th Btn RMR 1953, prom Maj 1963, o/c 12th Infantry Btn (TA) 1963-1965, retd as Lieut-Col 1965. Appointed as Heir Apparent with the title of Tengku Mahkota, 25th May 1944. Proclaimed at Pekan on the death of his father, 7th May 1974. Crowned at the Balairong Sri, Istana Sultan Abu Bakar, Pekan, 6th May 1975. Became Deputy Supreme Head of State of Malaysia with the title of Timbalan Yang di-Pertuan Agong from 21st September 1975. Assumed the duties of King of Malaysia with the title of Yang di-Pertuan Agong on the death of the incumbent, 29th March 1979. Installed at the Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur, 30th March 1979. Crowned 10th July 1980. Left office and returned to Pahang, 26th April 1984. Hon Col Pahang Home Guard 19/8/1958, Col-in-Chief RMAF 18/11/1989. Constitutional Head International Islamic Univ. Malaysia since 1983. Hon D.Lit. (Univ. of Malaya), LLD (Hons. Causa Northrop Univ, USA, 1986). Presdt Kuala Lupis Golf Club (1963), Football Assoc of Pahang (FAP) (1961), Football Assoc of Malaysia (1984), etc. Patron Royal Malaysian Polo Assoc. Mbr Malayan Amateur Racing Assoc. Rcvd: DKP, DK, DKM, SSAP, SIMP, DIMO, DMN, DK of Perak (6.5.1975), Johor, Kelantan, Trengganu, Perlis, Kedah, Negri Sembilan, Selangor (16.7.1987), SPCM, SPMJ, DKMB and DK of Brunei, Badr Chain of Saudi Arabia (1982), Collar of Mubarak the Great of Kuwait, Grand Order of Mugunghwa of Korea, and the Star of the Socialist Republic of Romania 1st class (25.11.1982), Pahang Silver Jubilee medal (1957), Queen Elizabeth II Coron Medal (1953), Sultan Ismail of Johore Coron Medal (1960), etc. m. (first) at the Istana Hinggap, Kuala Lipis, 22nd April 1954, H.R.H. Tengku Hajjah Afzan binti Tengku Muhammad, Tengku Ampuan (b. at Kuala Trengganu, 4th December 1932; d. from cancer, at Istana Pahang, Kuala Lumpur, 29th June 1988), granted the title of Tengku Puan Besar 1954, and installed as Tengku Ampuan 7th May 1974, Patron Malaysian Netball Assoc 1978-1988, Chair Malaysian Islamic Ladies’ Assoc, Presdt Tengku Ampuan Pahang Badminton Assoc, and the Royal Pekan Gold Club, etc, rcvd: DMN (29.5.1979), DK (6.5.1975), SSAP, SIMP (29.5.1972), and the Order Tudor Vladimirescu 1st class of Romania (25.11.1982), daughter of Y.A.M. Tengku Muhammad ibni al-Marhum Al-Sultan Sir Ahmad Mua’azzam Shah, Tengku Panglima Parang, CBE, sometime Chief Minister of Trengganu, by his wife, Y.M. Tengku Hajjah Aisha Mandak binti Tengku Mustafa, Tengku Sri Kemala. m. (second) 14th March 1991, H.R.H. Sultana Hajjah Kalsom binti ‘Abdu’llah (b. 12th September 1951), née Anita, styled Cik Puan Kalsom from 14th March 1991, and Sultana of Pahang with the style of Her Royal Highness from 30th September 1992, Patron Kuantan Handicapped Sch, Kiwanis Club of Kuantan since 2004, Cancerlink Soc of Malaysia, etc, sometime air stewardess and former second wife of Sahibzada Akbar Liaquat Ali Khan (younger son of Quaid-e-Millat, The Hon Nawabzada Liaquat ‘Ali Khan, of Karnal, sometime Prime Minister of Pakistan). He has issue, three sons and five daughters:
1) Colonel H.H. Tengku ‘Abdu’llah bin Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Mahkota. b. at Istana Mangga Tunggal, Bandar di-Raja Pekan, 30th July 1959 (s/o Afzan), educ. Ahmad Sch, Pekan, St Thomas’ English Sch, Kuantan, Aldenham Sch and Davis Coll, London, RMA Sandhurst, and Queen Elizabeth Coll, Oxford. Cmsnd as 2nd-Lieut RAC, British Army 1980, and 2nd-Lieut Royal Artillery Regt 1980, prom Lieut and Hon Capt, prom Col and cdt Regt 505 TA. Appointed as Heir Apparent with the title of Tengku Mahkota 1st July 1975, and formally installed at the Istana Abu Bakar, Pekan, 23rd October 1977. Installed as Regent of Pahang in the throne room of Istana Abu Bakar, Pekan, 28th April 1979. Chancellor Univ of Kuala Lampur since 2004. Presdt Royal Selangor Polo Club, Royal Pahang Golf Club, Pahang Squash Assoc, and Malaysian Hockey Fed (MHF) since 2008. Chair Semi-Pro League 1989, KL Youth World Cup Organizing Cttee 1997, Malaysian Super League (MSL) since 2004. Vice-Presdt Royal Malaysian Polo Assoc (RMPA), and Pahang Football Assoc (PFA) (Life Presdt since 1987). Deputy Presdt Football Assoc of Malaysia (FAM) 1992-1993 & 1994-2007. Chair Shahzan House (Property Management) Sdn Bhd, Dir Kurnia Setia Bhd, etc. Mbr Guards Polo Club, Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club, Hurlingham Polo Assoc, etc. Rcvd: DK I, SSAP (24.10.1980), SIMP, DK of Trengganu, DK and SPMJ of Johor. m. (first) at the Istana Bukit Serene, Johor Bahru, 6th March 1986, Y.A.M. Tunku Hajjah Azizah Amina Maimuna Iskandariah binti Sultan Mahmud Iskandar al-Haj, Tengku Puan Paduka Putri (cre. 1986) (b. at the Istana Bukit Stulang, Johor Bahru, 5th August 1960), Presdt Pahang Girl Guides Assoc, Vice-Presdt The Girl Guides Assoc of Malaysia, Patron Tunku Azizah Fertility Fndn. (TAFF), author of "Air Tangan Tengku Puan Pahang & Masakan Tradisional Pahang" (2005), rcvd: DK of Pahang, DK and SPMJ of Johor, third daughter of Brigadier-General H.R.H. Paduka Sri Sultan Mahmud Iskandar al-Haj ibni al-Marhum Sultan Sir Ismail, Sultan of Johor, by his first wife, Y.Bhg. Che’ Kalsum binti ‘Abdu’llah, née Josephine Treverrow. m. (second) 1993, Cik Puan Julia Aisha binti ‘Abdu’llah (b. at Kota Bharu, Kelantan, 19th February 1971), a former actress, daughter of ‘Abdu’l Rais. He had issue, four sons and two daughters by his first wife, and three daughters by his second:
b) Y.M. Tengku Hassan al-Ibrahim Alam Shah bin Tengku Mahkota Tengku ‘Abdu’llah. b. at Kuantan Hospital, 17th September 1995 (s/o Tunku Hajjah Azizah), educ. Caldicott Boys’ Preparatory Sch, Farnham Royal, Bucks.
c) Y.M. Tengku Muhammad Iskandar Ri’ayat ud-din Shah bin Tengku Mahkota Tengku ‘Abdu’llah. b. 3rd August 1997 (s/o Tunku Hajjah Azizah), educ. Caldicott Boys’ Preparatory Sch, Farnham Royal, Bucks.
d) Y.M. Tengku Ahmad Ismail Mu’adzam Shah bin Tengku Mahkota Tengku ‘Abdu’llah. b. 11th September 2001 (twin with his sister Afzan) (s/o Azizah), educ. St Thomas’s National Sch.
a) Y.M. Tengku Putri Iman Afzan binti Tengku Mahkota Tengku ‘Abdu’llah (d/o Julia).
d) Y.M. Tengku Putri Afzan Amina Hafizatu’llah binti Tengku Mahkota Tengku ‘Abdu’llah. b. 11th September 2001 (twin with her brother Ahmad) (s/o Azizah).
e) Y.M. Tengku Putri Nur Jahan Khalsom Athiy’atu’llah binti Tengku Mahkota Tengku ‘Abdu’llah. b. 27th April 2002 (s/o Azizah).
Tengku Mahkota ‘Abdu’llah, also adopted two sons before the birth of his own sons:
f) Y.M. Tengku Amir Nasser Ibrahim bin Tengku Arif Bendahara Ibrahim. b. 25th August 1986, youngest son of the late Tengku Arif Bendahara Ibrahim and his third wife, Czarina binti ‘Abdu’llah. Adopted in 1987.
g) Y.M. Tengku Ahmad Iskandar.
2) Y.A.M. Tengku Datuk Sri ‘Abdu’l Rahman al-Haj bin Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Muda. b. at Istana Mangga Tunggal, Pekan, 23rd August 1960 (s/o Afzan), educ. Harrow Coll (MBA), Harrow-on-the-Hill, Mdsx. Chair Tanjong Agas Supply Base & Marine Services (TASBMS), Dir Public Finance Bhd, Public Merchant Bank Bhd, Atlan Holdings Bhd, and other coys. Presdt Shahzan Muda Sports Club, actg Presdt Pahang Football Assoc (PFA) 1987, Vice-Presdt Royal Malaysian Polo Assoc, etc. Rcvd: DKP (24.10.2000), DK II, SSAP (24.10.1980), SIMP. m. at Istana ‘Abu Bakar, Pekan, 27th July 2002, Y.Bhg. Cik Julita Aisha binti ‘Abdu’l Latif, Che’ Puan Muda (b. at Singapore, 1971), sometime Stewardess with Singapore Airlines, eldest daughter of Y.Bhg. Encik ‘Abdu’l Latif bin ‘Abdu’llah Amin, by his wife, Y.Bhg. Puan Khadija binti Muhammad Yusuf. He has issue, two sons and one daughter:
a) Y.M. Tengku Eddie Akasya bin Tengku Muda ‘Abdu’l Rahman. b. at the Kuantan Medical Centre, Kuantan, 30th March 2004.
b) Y.M. Tengku Ahmad Firman Shah bin Tengku Muda ‘Abdu’l Rahman. b. 4th February 2005.
a) Y.M. Tengku Ameera Asya binti Tengku Muda ‘Abdu’l Rahman. b. at the Kuantan Medical Centre, Kuantan, 27th April 2003.
1) Y.A.M. Tengku Tan Sri Hajjah Meriam binti Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Putri Sri Lela Wangsa. b. at Istana Sultan Abu Bakar, Pekan, 1st April 1955 (d/o Afzan). Presdt Inst Tengku Ampuan Afzan (INTAZ) since 1995, Dir Kurnia Setia Bhd since 2005, TAS Kurnia Sdn Bhd, etc. Rcvd: DKP (24.10.2000), DK II, SIMP, PSM (1984). m. (first) at Pekan, 24th April 1976 (div.) H.H. Tengku Dato’ Sri Kamil Ismail bin Tengku Idris Shah, Tengku Besar (b. 1st February 1950), son of Y.A.M. Tengku Dato’ Idris Shah ibni al-Marhum Sultan ‘Ala ud-din Sulaiman Shah,Tengku Sri Paduka Shahbandar, by his second wife, Y.A.M. Tengku Putri Mariam binti al-Marhum Sultan Sir Abu Bakar Riayat ud-din al-Mu’azzam Shah, daughter of Colonel H.R.H. Paduka Sri Baginda Sultan Sir Abu Bakar Riayat ud-din al-Mu’azzam Shah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Sir ‘Abdu’llah al-Muhtasim Billah Shah, Sultan and Yang di-Pertuan of the State of Pahang, GCMG. m. (second) Y.A.Bhg. Sheikh Datuk Sri Muhammad Taufiq Al-Ozeir, Executive Chair TAS Industry, Hon Consul for the Lebanon. She has issue, one son and four daughters – see Malaysia (Selangor).
2) Y.A.M. Tengku Dato’ Sri Hajjah Muhaini binti Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Putri Sri Teja. b. at Istana Mangga Tunggal, Pekan, 31st October 1956 (d/o Afzan). Rcvd: DK II, SIMP. m. (first) at Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur, 22nd January 1981 (div.) Y.M. Tengku Dato’ Ibrahim Petra bin Tengku Indra Petra (b. 1956), Presdt Malaysian Oil and Gas Services Cncl, son of Y.T.M. Tengku ‘Abdu’llah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Ibrahim, Tengku Indra Petra, sometime Heir Apparent of Kelantan, by his second wife, Puan Sri Zainab binti ‘Ali. m. (second) Y.Bhg. Dato’ Dr Muhammad Munir bin ‘Abdu’l Majid (b. in Penang, 1948), educ. St Mark’s Sch, Butterworth, Bukit Mertajam High Sch, RMC, Sungei Besi, LSE (BSc 1971, PhD 1978), Tutor in International Relations at the LSE 1972-1975, Research Analyst for Daiwa Europe NV 1975-1978, Leader Writer “New Straits Times” 1979, Group Editor until 1986, CEO Pertanian Baring Sanwa (PBS) 1986-1993, Exec. Chair Securities Cmsn. 1993-1999, Dir Telekom Malaysia Bhd 1999-2004, Chair Celecom Malaysia Bhd 2002-2004 and of Malaysian Airlines System (MAS) Bhd 2004-2005, Dir Saujana Resorts (M), Presdt Kuala Lumpur Business Club, Fellow Malaysian Inst. of Management, Mbr International Inst. of Strategic Studies (London), etc. She had issue, three children by her second husband.
3) Y.A.M. Tengku Dato’ Sri Hajjah Aishah Marcella binti Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Putri Sri Kamala. b. at the Istana Manggga Tunggal, Pekan, 13th November 1957 (d/o Afzan), educ. at Kuala Lipis, Pekan and Kuantan, and at Bournemouth (dip. Business Management and Tourism). Mngr with Cempaka Leasing Sdn Bhd 1985-1990, Chair Insas Bhd and Firmar Plastic Industries Sdn Bhd, Exec Dir TAS Industries Sdn Bhd since 1997, Dir Cempaka Finance Bhd, Itamal Agency Sdn Bhd, etc. Rcvd: DK II, SIMP. m. (first) at Istana Abu Bakar, Pekan, Pahang, 23rd October 1980, as his first wife (div. 1985), Y.M. Tunku Kamil Ikram bin Tunku ‘Abdu’llah (at Istana Hinggap, Kuala Lumpur, 30th April 1956), second son of Y.A.M. Tunku ‘Abdu’llah ibni al-Marhum Tuanku ‘Abdu’l Rahman, Tunku Panglima Besar, of Negri Sembilan. m. (second) 2nd July 1987, Y.Bhg. Dato Muhammad Johan bin Dato Muhammad Yusuf (b. 21st May 1961), an airline pilot with MAS, Capt. B747 since 1981. She has issue, one daughter by her first husband – see Malaysia (Negri Sembilan), and one son and one daughter by her second marriage:
a) Tun Putra Ahmad Aiz ud-din Shah bin Dato’ Muhammad Johan. b. 8th September 1988.
a) Putri Afzan Shakira Nabila binti Dato’ Muhammad Johan. b. 6th December 1990.
4) Y.A.M. Tengku Dato’ Hajjah Nong Fatimah binti Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Putri Sri Setia Bakti (cre. 25th October 2002). b. 4th September 1962 (d/o Afzan). Dir Kurnia Setia Bhd since 2005. Rcvd: DK II (24.10.2000), SIMP (24.10.1988). m. (div.) Y.Bhg. Dato’ Haji Muhammad Moiz (b. 1961), educ. BSc, MBA, Project Mngr. with Timbco Sdn Bhd 1985-1986, CEO Tradium Group 1987-1999, CEO Effective Capital Sdn Bhd 1999-2000, Chair Bandar Raya Developments (BRD) Bhd since 2002 (Dir 2000-2002), Mieco Chipboard Bhd, and of Mieco Matsushita Denko Sdn Bhd, Dir Peninsular Gold Ltd, Dir Kurnia Setia Bhd, etc. Liaison Mbr for Malaysia for the Supreme Islamic Council of America (ISCA), Vice-Presdt Royal Malaysian Polo Assoc, Vice-Presdt & Capt Royal Selangor Polo Club, Mbr Royal Pahang, Cameron Highland, and Singapore Polo Clubs, son of Encik Jabir Muhammad Ali Moiz, CEO Tropical Timber Ltd, by his wife, Cik Puan Soraya, eldest daughter of Muhammad Khan, of Singapore, sometime timber merchant. She had issue, three children.
5) Y.A.M. Tengku Dato’ Hajjah Shahariah binti Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah al-Mustain Billah, Tengku Putri Sri Bongsu (cre. 25th October 2002). b. 12th September 1964 (d/o Afzan), educ. Lansdowne Coll, London (dip. Business Communication 1986). Dir TAS Acrylic Technologies Sdn Bhd, TAS Leisure Sdn Bhd, TAS Management Sdn Bhd, Firmar Plastic Industries Sdn Bhd, and Innovest Bhd since 2000. Rcvd: DK II, SIMP (24.10.2000). m. Baharim. She has issue, two daughters.