1941 - 1979 H.I.M. Muhammad Reza Pahlavi, Shahanshah of Iran, Aryamehr, GCB (c 13.5.1942), Royal Victorian Chain (21.7.1948). b. at Hasanabad, Teheran, 26th October 1919, eldest son of H.I.M. Reza Shah Pahlavi, Shahanshah of Iran, by his fourth wife, Nimtaj Khanum, Tajul-Mulk [H.I.M. The Empress Mother], educ. Military Cadet Sch, Tehran, Institut Le Rosey, Rolle, Switzerland, and Iranian War Coll, Teheran. Cmsnd as 2nd-Lieut Imperial Iranian Army 1938, aptd to the Army Inspectorate Dept, Personal ADC to the Shahanshah 1938-1941, prom Gen 1940, GOC Army Corps of Defence 1940, Inspector-Gen of the Army 1940-1941. Invested by his father at the Museum Hall of the Gulistan Palace, Teheran, as Heir Apparent with the title of ValiAhad-i-Iran, 24th April 1926. Succeeded on the abdication of his father, 16th and took the oath at the Majlis, 17th September 1941. Granted the title of Aryamehr (‘Light of the Aryans’) by an extraordinary session of the joint Houses of Parliament, 15th September 1965. Crowned at Teheran, 26th October 1967. Left the country and went into exile in Egypt, 16th January 1979. Deposed on the proclamation of the Islamic Republic, 1st April 1979. Colonel-in-Chief 1st (Pahlavi) Guards Regt 1931-1941. Supreme Commander of the Imperial Iranian Armed Forces (bozorg-e arteshtaran) 1941-1979. Hon Air Chief Marshal RAF 5/5/1959. Hon DCL Univ of Michigan 1949, and Harvard Univ 1968. Hon LLD Columbia Univ 1955, Aligarh Muslim Univ 1959, Univ of Pennsylvania 1962, New York Univ 1962, Pepperdine Univ 1977, Charles Univ of Prague 1977, and Humboldt Univ 1978. Hon JD Eötvös Loránd Univ of Budapest 1978. Hon LHD Univ of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) 1964. Hon Dr Political Law Bucharest Univ 1966. Hon Dr Pol Sci Chulalongkorn Univ of Bangkok 1968. Hon Litt D Univ of Benares 1956. Hon D.Hum. Trujillo National Univ 1976. Hon Dr Univs of Peshawar 1967, and Malaya 1969. Hon Dr Public Service George Washington Univ 1974. Hon Alumnus Duke Univ 1978. Supreme Presdt Imperial Organization for Social Services. Presdt National Assoc for Physical Education 1935. Hon Presdt National Iranian Scouting Assoc (Pishahang-i-Iran) 1953-1979, Equestrian Club, Iran Assoc for the UN. Hon Chair Abolfath Mahvi Educational Fndn. High Patron the Red Lion and Sun Org 1948-1979. Hon Patron 7000 Years of Iranian Art (Washington DC) 1965. Patron Seventh Asian Games 1974, Rotary Clubs of Iran 1962-1979, etc. Hon Capt George Washington Univ Football Team 1949. Hon Mbr Club Royal Egyptien de Chasse (CREC), Khyber Union (Peshawar), and Royal Central Asian Soc 1965-1975 and Royal Soc for Asian Affairs 1975-1980. Founded Nishan-i-Kidmat (the Order of Honour) in 1949, Nishan-i-HaftPaykar (the Order of the Pleiades) in 1957, and the Nishan-i-Aryamehr (the Order of Light of the Aryans) on 26th September 1967. Rcvd: Grand Collar of the Order of Pahlavi (1932), the Orders of Zulfiqar 2nd class (1949, 4th class 12.12.1946), Crown of Iran 1st class (24.4.1926), Third Isfandyar Decoration 1st class (1928), the Military Order (Nishan-i-Sipah) 1st, 2nd and 3rd class, the Orders of Merit (Nishan-i-Liaqat) 1st and 3rd class (1938), Glory (Nishan-i-Iftikhar) 1st class, and Honour (Nishan-i-Kidmat) 1stclass, Azerbaijan Medal 1stclass (12.12.1946), Medal of Splendour (Medal-i-Daraksh), the Police Order (Nishan-i-Pas) 1stclass, etc, Knt of the Orders of the Golden Spur of the Vatican (20.8.1948), Elephant of Denmark (14.5.1959) Seraphim (29.4.1960) with collar (4.9.1967) of Sweden, and Maha Chakri of Thailand (23.4.1967), the Grand Order of the Hashimites of Iraq (14.6.1949), the Grand Collar and Chain of the Order of Solomon of Ethiopia (14.9.1964), the Grand Collars of the Orders of the Supreme Sun of Afghanistan (26.3.1950, 1st class before 1942), Isabel the Catholic (22.5.1957) and Carlos III (19.4.1975) of Spain, Independence of Tunisia (15.3.1965), Southern Cross of Brazil (4.5.1965), Liberator San Martin of Argentina (17.5.1965), the Infant Dom Henrique of Portugal (27.7.1967), Nile of the Republic of Egypt (7.1.1975), and Aztec Eagle of Mexico (8.5.1975), the Collars of the Orders of Muhammad ‘Ali of Egypt (16.3.1939), Husain ibn ‘Ali of Jordan (28.7.1949), Idris I of Libya, Chrysanthemum of Japan (13.5.1958), Muhammadiya of Morocco (11.6.1966), Mubarak the Great of Kuwait (1974), al-Khalifa of Bahrain (1975), and Independence of the State of Qatar (13.11.1975), the Badr Chain of Saudi Arabia (28.4.1975), and the Chain of Honour of the Sudan (24.2.1974), GC of the Orders of the Two Rivers of the Kingdom Iraq (x.3.1939) and the Republic of Iraq (mil with collar 13.2.1967), Leopold of Belgium (civil 15.3.1939, mil 11.5.1960), Legion of Honour of France (15.6.1939), Redeemer of Greece, Cedars of Lebanon, Omayyad of Syria (after 1942 before 1946), Propitious Clouds of China special grade (3.6.1946), Renaissance of Jordan special class (28.7.1949), Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany special class (25.2.1955), Merit of the Lebanon special class (17.10.1956), Merit of the Republic of Italy with collar (26.8.1957), Brilliant Jade of the Republic of China (5.5.1958), the Netherlands Lion (19.5.1959), St Olav of Norway with collar (17.5.1961), Polonia Restituta of Poland (13.9.1967), the Lion of Finland with collar (22.6.1970), Leopard of Zaire with collar (23.2.1974), Equatorial Star of Gabon (22.10.1975), and the Somali Star of Somalia (28.12.1977), the Orders of the White Lion of Czechoslovakia 1st class (civil 22.3.1939, mil with collar x.12.1943) and of the Peoples Republic of Czechoslovakia 1st class (civil 23.5.1967, collar 26.8.1977), Pakistan 1st class (Nishan-i-Pakistan) (9.11.1959), Ojaswi Rajanya of Nepal (3.7.1960), Star of the Peoples Republic of Romania (27.5.1966), Yugoslavian Grand Star (3.6.1966), the Flag of the Hungarian Peoples Republic 1st class(x.9.1967), and the State Crown of Malaysia (DMN) (16.1.1968), the King Abdul Aziz Decoration 1st classof Saudi Arabia (mil 9.8.1955 or 12.3.1957), the Grand Star of the Decoration of Honour for Merit of Austria (15.3.1958), Military Order of Oman 1st class (2.3.1974), Chief Cdr of the Legion of Merit of the USA (7.10.1947), French War Cross with palm (3.8.1948), Italian Cross of Merit for War (20.8.1948), Grand Collar of the Order of Scanderbeg and GC of the Order of Fidelity of Albania of the House of Zogu of Albania (1975), Knt of the Supreme Order of the Annunziata, and GC of the Orders of SS Maurice & Lazarus, and Crown of Italy of the House of Savoy (6.7.1976), etc. m. (first) at the Abidin Palace, Cairo, Egypt, 16th March 1939 (Shi’ite rite) and at the Gulistan Palace, Teheran, 25th April 1939 (Suni rite) (div. at Teheran, 20th October 1948) H.R.H. Princess Fawzia (b. at the Ras el-Tine Palace, Alexandria, Egypt, 5th November 1921; m. second, at the ‘Abdin Palace, Cairo, Egypt, 28th March 1949, Colonel H.E. (Sahib ul-Izza) Ismail Husain Shirin Bey, by whom she had a further son and daughter, and d. at Alexandria, Egypt, 2nd July 2003, bur. Shirin Mauroleum, Cairo, Egypt), became an Iranian national and granted the title of Princess (Shahdokht) with the style of Her Imperial Highness 15th March 1939, and enjoyed that of Queen (Malika Fawzia Pahlavi) with the style of Her Majesty 17th September 1941-20th October 1948, Colonel-in-Chief 2nd (Fateh) Regt of Cavalry (Princess Fawzia’s) 25/4/1939-1948, Patron Child Welfare Assoc 1940-1948, rcvd: the Decoration of al-Kemal in brilliants of Egypt (16.3.1939), and GC of the Order of Pahlavi of Iran (27.10.1940) becoming the first woman to receive that honour, second daughter of H.M Fuad I, King of Egypt, Sovereign of Nubia, of the Sudan, of Kordofan and of Darfur, GCB, Royal Victorian Chain, by his second wife, H.M. Queen Nazli, daughter of H.E. ‘Abdu’l Rahim Sabri Pasha. m. (second) at the Marble Palace (nikah) and at the Gulistan Palace (zifaf), Teheran, 12th February 1951 (div. at Teheran, 14th March 1958) H.I.H. Princess Soraya (b. at the English Missionary Hospital, Isfahan, Fars, 22nd June 1932; d. at Paris, France, 25th October 2001, bur. in the Esfandiary-Bakhtiary family plot, Westfriedhoff Cemetery, Munich, Germany), educ. Mental Sch, Berlin, Germany, English Mission Sch, Isfahan, Fars, Chatelard Sch, Les Avants, near Montreaux, and Institut Le Rosey, Rolle, Switzerland, and in London, granted the title ofQueen (Malika Soraya Pahlavi) with the style of Her Majesty 12th February 1951, and Princess with the style of Her Imperial Highness 14th March 1958, rcvd: the Order of the Pleiades 1st class (1957), GC of the Orders of Merit (special design) of Germany (25.2.1955), and Isabel the Catholic (22.5.1957), and the Grand Decoration of Honour for Merit in gold with sash of Austria (15.3.1958), only daughter of H.E. Khalil Khan Esfandiary-Bakhtiary, sometime Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany, by his wife Eva, Princess Esfandiary-Bakhtiary, elder daughter of Herr Franz Karl, sometime Agent for IG Farben and AEG in Moscow, Russia, and Feldberg, Mecklenberg, Germany. m. (third) in the Hall of Mirrors, at the Marble Palace, Teheran, 21st December 1959, H.I.M. Empress (Shahbanu) Farah (b. at the American Mission Hospital, Teheran, 14th October 1938), educ. Razi Coll, Teheran, École Jeanne d’Arc and École d’architecture, Paris, France, granted the title ofQueen (Malika Farah Pahlavi) with the style of Her Majesty 21st December 1959, advanced to the title of Empress (Shahbanou) with the style of Her Imperial Majesty in March 1961, and crowned by her husband at the Hall of Mirrors of the Gulistan Palace, Teheran, 26th October 1967, Hon Chair National Iranian Cttee for the American Bicentennial 1976, The National Museum of Women in the Arts’ Spring Gala 2014, Royal Patron and Hon Chair of the Brd of Trustees of the Imperial Iranian Acad of Philosophy 1974-1979, Hon Presdt Icom Fndn 1972-1979, Hon Presdt and Patron Iranian Cultural Fndn 1964-1979, Patron-in-Chief Women’s Athletics Council, and Farabi Hospital 1960-1979, High Patron VIIth Congress of the World Fed of Haemophilia 1970, and Second International Congress of Mithraic Studies 1975, Patron Farah Pahlavi Assoc, Farah Pahlavi Welfare Fndn, National Folkore Org 1965-1979, Shiraz International Art Festival 1967-1977, Asia Inst of Pahlavi University, Negarestan Museum, Tehran International Film 1972, Prince Ali Reza Pahlavi Fndn, etc, Hon Patron of Cannes Museum Qajar Art Collection 2012, Hon Trustee Aspen Inst of Humanistic Studies 1975, Hon D.Hum. Georgetown Univ, Washington DC 1975, and Eötvös Loránd Univ of Budapest 1978, Hon Citizen of Bruges-Capbis-Mifaget, Foreign Assoc Mbr Acad des Beaux-Arts (Paris) 1974, Hon DFA Tehran Univ, and Pahlavi Univ of Shiraz, Hon D Arch National Univ of Iran, Hon Dr Melli Univ, Hon Litt D Agra Univ 1969, Georgetown Univ, Washington DC 1975, McGill Univ of Montreal, and the Univ of Dakar, Hon DCL the American Univ of Washingdon DC 1975, and Charles Univ of Prague 1977, Hon LHD Univ of Southern California 1977, Rcvd: the Orders of Aryamehr 1st class (26.9.1967) and the Pleiades 1st class (21.12.1959), the Supreme Decoration for Social Services for Ladies (18.2.1960), Coron (26.10.1967), 25th Anniversary (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals, Knt of the Orders of the Elephant of Denmark (3.5.1963), and Maha Chakri of Thailand (22.1.1968), Mbr of the Order of the Seraphim of Sweden (29.4.1960), GC of the Orders of the Renaissance of Jordan special class (x.5.1960), Leopold of Belgium (civ 26.11.1961), Netherlands Lion (26.9.1963), Legion of Honour of France (16.10.1963), Queen of Sheba of Ethiopia with collar (14.9.1964), St Olav of Norway (8.1.1965), Independence of Tunisia (15.3.1965), Southern Cross of Brazil (3.5.1965), the Liberator San Martin of Argentina (17.5.1965), Merit (special design) of the Federal Republic of Germany (27.5.1967), Isabel the Catholic of Spain (3.10.1969), Merit of the Republic of Italy (15.12.1974), and the Precious Crown of Japan, the Grand Decoration of Honour for Merit in gold with sash of Austria (30.9.1965), and the Orders of the Yugoslav Star 1st class (3.6.1966), White Lion 1st class of Czechoslovakia (civil 1969, collar 26.8.1977), Crown of Malaysia (DMN) (16.1.1968), etc, daughter of Captain Suhrab Khan Tabatabai Ala’a al-Diba [Sohrab Diba], late Imperial Iranian Army, by his wife Farida Khanum [Farideh Ghotbi], daughter of H.E. Shaikh Baqir Khan, Amjad us-Sultan, of Lahijan, Gilan, a descendant of the Sufi scholar Shaikh Qutb ud-din Muhammad Sharif Lahiji, interpreter of the Koran. He d. at the Ma’adi Military Hospital, Cairo, Egypt, 27th July 1980 (bur. ar-Rifai Mosque, the Citadel, Cairo), having had issue, two sons and three daughters:
1) H.I.H. Crown Prince (Vala Hazrat Vali Adh) Cyrus Reza Pahlavi, who assumed the style of H.I.M. Reza II Pahlavi, Shahanshah of Iran (s/o Empress Farah) - see below.
2) H.I.H. Prince (Shahpur) ‘Ali Reza Pahlavi. b. at Teheran, 28th April 1966 (s/o Empress Farah), educ. Lycée Razi and Reza Pahlavi Sch, Niavaran Palace, Tehran, St David’s Sch, New York City, USA, American Coll, Cairo, Egypt, Mount Greylock Regional High Sch, Williamstown, Massachusetts, Princeton Univ (BA 1984), New Jersey, Columbia Univ (MA 1992), New York, and Harvard Univ (PhD), Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. Vice-Chair and Counsellor Armao & Co. Mbr Brd of Dirs Kartika Soekarno Fndn. Rcvd: Coron (26.10.1967), 25th Anniversay (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals. m. (a) (common law) Ms Raha Didevar (b. 10th September 1973), to whom he was affianced at the time of his death, Dir Raha Didevar in Kenya. He d. unm. from self-inflicted gun-shot wounds, after suffering from a prolonged period of depression after the death of his sister, at South End, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 4th January 2011, having had issue an only daughter:
a) H.H. Princess (Vala Gohari) Iryana Leila Pahlavi. b. posthumously, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 26th July 2011.
1) H.I.H. Princess (Shahdokht) Shahnaz Pahlavi [Hajar Alavi]. b. at the Sa’adabad Palace, Teheran, 27th October 1940 (d/o Princess Fawzia), educ. privately. Rcvd: the Orders of Aryamehr 2nd class (26.9.1967) and the Pleiades 2nd class (11.10.1957), Coron (26.10.1967), 25th Anniversay (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals. m. (first) at the Gulistan Palace, Teheran, 11th October 1957 (div. 24th September 1964), H.E. Ardeshir Zahedi, GCVO (b. at Teheran, 17th October 1928), educ. American Univ of Beirut, Lebanon, and Utah State Univ, Logan, Utah, USA (BSc 1950), Treasurer Iran America Cmsn, Deputy Dir Point Four Programme, Chamberlain of the Imperial Household 1953-1954, Head Iranian Student Programme 1954-1959, Ambassador to the USA 1959-1961 & 1973-1979 (conc to Mexico 1973-1976, Cuba, Venezuela and the Bahamas), and at the Court of St James’s 1962-1966, Minister for Foreign Affairs 1966-1973, rcvd: GC of the Orders of the Crown of Iran (1975), and Humayun, Coron (26.10.1967), 25th Anniversary (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals, Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (27.5.1967), White Elephant of Thailand (22.1.1968), Sacred Treasure of Japan (1969), Aztec Eagle of Mexico (1975), and the SMO of Malta Merito Melitensi (24.2.2016), only son of Lieutenant-General H.E. Fazlu’llah Khan Zahedi, Bashir-i-Divan, sometime ADC General and Prime Minister, by his wife, Khadija ul-Mulk, daughter of H.E. Mirza Husain Khan Pirnia, Mu’tamin ul-Mulk, sometime Speaker of the Iranian Parliament (Majlis), by whom she had issue one daughter – see below. m. (second) at the Iranian Embassy, Paris, February 1971 (div.), H.H. Shahzada Khushrau Khoban Mirza [Khosro Khoban Djahanbani] [Khosrow Jahanbani] (b. at Tehran, 27th February 1941; d. from cancer, at Geneva, Switzerland, 16th April 2014), educ. Lodi Union High Sch, Lodi, and California State Univ (Sacramento State Coll) (BA), Sacramento, California, and the Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, artist, settled in Switzerland after the Islamic revolution, youngest son of Lieutenant-General H.H. Shahzada Amanu’llah Mirza [Amanollah Jahanbani], sometime Governor-General of Azerbaijan, by his third wife, Helen Khanum, daughter of Dr Alexander Kasminsky, of St Petersburg, Russia. by whom she had further issue, one son and one daughter – see Persia (Qajar). m. (third) at Reno, Clark, Nevada, USA, 11th October 1992 (div. there, 21st October 1993), Roman Mestur Lebedowicz (b. 18th May 1952). She had issue, by her first husband, a daughter:
a) H.H. Princess (ValaGohari) Mahnaz Zahra Zahedi. b. at Teheran, 2nd December 1958 (d/o Ardeshir Zahedi).
2) H.I.H. Princess (Shahdokht) Yasmin Farahnaz Pahlavi. b. at Teheran, 12th March 1963 (d/o Empress Farah), educ. Reza Pahlavi Sch, Niavaran Palace, Tehran, Esther Walker Sch, Simsbury, Connecticut, USA, American Coll, Cairo, Egypt, Bennington Coll, Vermont, and Columbia Univ (BA 1986), New York, USA. Rcvd: Coron (26.10.1967), 25th Anniversay (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals.
3) H.I.H. Princess (Shahdokht) Leila Pahlavi. b. at the Military Hospital, Teheran, 27th March 1970 (d/o Empress Farah), educ. Reza Pahlavi Sch, Niavaran Palace, Tehran, American Coll, Cairo, Egypt, Pine Cobble Sch, Williamstown, Massachusetts, United Nations and Rye County Day Schs, Rye, New York, and Brown Univ, Providence, Rhode Island, USA. Rcvd: 25th Anniversay (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals. She d. unm. at the Leonard Hotel, London, 10th June 2001 (bur. Passy Cemetary, Paris).
 H.I.M. Reza Pahlavi II, Shahanshah of Iran. b. at the Mothers’ Aid Society Hospital, Teheran, 31st October 1960, as Prince Reza Cyrus Pahlavi, elder son of H.I.M. Muhammad Reza Pahlavi, Shahanshah of Iran, Aryamehr, GCB, Royal Victorian Chain, by his third wife, H.I.M. Empress Farah, educ. Reza Pahlavi Sch, Niavaran Palace, Tehran, Joint Air Force Acad, Colorado Springs, Reese Air Force Base, Lubbock, Texas, Williams Coll, Williamstown, Massachusetts, and the Univ of Southern California (USC) (BSc Pol Sci), Los Angeles, California, USA. Cmsnd as 2nd-Lieut Imperial Iranian Air Force, and served as a fighter pilot 1978-1979. Colonel-in-Chief the Frontier Constabulary, Pakistan 1971. Appointed as Heir Apparent with the title of Vali Ahd-i-Iran (Crown Prince of Iran), 26th October 1967. Succeeded on the death of his father as Head of the Imperial House of Pahlavi and assumed the title of Shahanshah together with the style of His Imperial Majesty Reza Pahlavi II, at the Kubba Palace, Cairo, Egypt, 27th July 1980. He lived in exile in Egypt and Morocco before settling in the USA in 1984. Sometime Chancellor Bo Ali Univ Univ, Presdt Iran Sports Organization, Patron of the Iran Scouts, of the Best Workers Organization, Royal Royal Horse Soc (RHS) 1970-1979, and of the Rural Cultural Centre. Presdt Medina Development Co. Author of “Gozashteh va Ayandeh” (2000), “Winds of Change: The Future of Democracy in Iran” (2002), and “Iran: L’heure du Choix” (2009). Rcvd: the Grand Collar of the Order of Pahlavi (26.9.1967), Coron (26.10.1967), 25th Anniversay (14.10.1971), and 2,500 Anniversary (15.10.1971) medals, Knt of the Order of the Seraphim of Sweden (24.11.1970), Grand Collar of the Order of Isabel the Catholic of Spain (19.4.1975), GC of the Orders of Muhammadiya of Morocco (17.4.1968), Merit of the Republic of Italy (15.12.1974), and Legion of Honour of France (14.12.1976), the Grand Decoration of Honour for Merit in gold with sash of Austria (12.4.1976), etc. m. at Greenwich, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA, 12th June 1986, H.I.H. Princess Yasmina Pahlavi (b. at the Pars Hospital, Teheran, 26th July 1968), educ. The Community Sch, Tehran, Notre Dame High Sch, San Francisco Bay, California, and George Washington Univ, Washington DC (BA 1990, JD), Attorney at Law 1998, Superior Court Clerk in Washington DC, Staff Attorney with Children’s Law Center in Washington DC since 2001, Presdt Foundation for the Children of Iran 1991, daughter of ‘Abdu’llah Etemad Amini, of McLean, Virginia, USA, previously of Etemadieh, Qazvin, a leading member of the Constitutionalist Party of Iran, by his wife, Faruq Khanum [Mrs Forough Amini Eftekhari], daughter of Muhammad Husain Khan Eftekhari. He has issue, three daughters:
1) H.I.H. Princess (Shahdokht) Noor Pahlavi. b. in the USA, 3rd April 1992, educ. Lycée Rochambeau, Washington DC, Bullis Sch, Potomac, Maryland, and Georgetown Univ, Washington, DC, USA.
2) H.I.H. Princess (Shahdokht) Iman Pahlavi. b. in the USA, 12th September 1993, educ. Lycée Rochambeau, Washington DC, Bullis Sch, Potomac, Maryland, and the Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA.
3) H.I.H. Princess (Shahdokht) Farah Pahlavi. b. at Washington DC, USA, 17th January 2004.