1967 -  Lieutenant-General His Exalted Highness Rustam-i-Dauran, Arustu-i-Zaman, Wal Mamaluk, Asaf Jah VIII, Muzaffar ul-Mamaluk, Nizam ul-Mulk, Nizam ud-Daula, Nawab Mir Barakat ‘Ali Khan Bahadur, Sipah Salar, Fath Jang, Faithful Ally of the British Government, Nizam of Hyderabad and Berar. b. at the Hilafet Palace, Nice, France, 6th October 1933, elder son of General H.H. Azam Jah, Walashan Nawab Mir Himayat ‘Ali Khan Bahadur, Prince of Berar, GCIE, GBE, by his wife, H.H. Nawab Durr-i-Shahvar Durdana Begum Sahiba, Princess of Berar, educ. the Princes’ Sch, Asafia Kothi, Bolarum, Hyderabad, Doon Sch, Dehradun, Harrow Sch, Harrow, Middlesex, Peterhouse, Cambridge (BA 1955, MA 1959), RMA Sandhurst, Camberley, Surrey, and the London Sch of Economics & Political Science (LSE), London. Granted the title of Walasham Nawab Mukarram Jah 10th February 1937. Hon Col 3rd (Nizam’s Own) Golconda Lancers 10/2/1937-1950, Hon Lieut-Gen Hyderabad State Forces 1948. Joined Cambridge Univ OTC 1952, attached RE (TA) 1952-1955, cmsnd as 2nd-Lieut British Army 1956, Hon Lieut IA 18/6/1960, Hon Officer Royal Deccan Horse, IA, prom Hon Capt, Hon ADC to the Presdt of India (in the rank of Capt) 1963-1967, attached Protocol Dept of Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi, prom Hon Maj and Hon Col 9th Deccan Horse, IA. Designated by his grandfather as his heir and sucessor, 14th June 1954 (recognised by the GOI, 1st March 1964). Succeeded on the death of his grandfather, 24th February 1967 (recognised by the GOI, 27th February 1967). Installed at the Khilwat Palace, Chow-Mahalla, Hyderabad, 6th April 1967. The GOI amended the Indian Constitution to remove his position as a “ruler” and his right to receive privy-purse payments, 28th December 1971. Pro-Chancellor Osmania Univ, Hyderabad 1960-1967. Chair H.E.H. the Nizam’s Charitable Trust 1963 (Adtl Mbr 1960-1963), and Mukarram Jah Trust for Education & Learning (MJTEL) since 1971. Presdt H.E.H. the Nizam and Alladin Technical Education Soc since 1967, and of the Ex-Servicemen’s Assoc, and Islamic Culture Brd 1971. Vice-Chair Motilal Nehru Birth Centenary Cttee 1960-1961. Patron Home for the Aged & Boys, Mukarram Jah Technical Inst, Mukarram Jah Institute for Vocational Training, Mukarram Jah High Sch, Mukarram Jah Village Development Soc, Indian Geophysical Union, etc. Mbr General Assembly of the Indian Council for Cultural Relations, Indian International Centre, Indian National Trust For Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) since 1984, Explorers Club, etc. Dir Central Bank of India Ltd 1961-1967, Hyderabad Asbestos Cement Products Ltd, etc. Rcvd: King George V Silver Jubilee (1935), King George VI Coron (1937), Nizam’s Silver Jubilee (mil. 1937), and Hyderabad War (1945) medals. m. (first) at the Register Office, Kensington, London, 12th April 1959 (civil) and 8th May 1959 (relig.) (sep. 1973, and div. at Perth, Western Australia, January 1980) Nawab Esra Begum Sahiba [H.H. Princess Esra Jah] [Esra Yegane Birgen Jah] (b. at Istanbul, Turkey, 1938; m. second, B.A. Hanin, and had further issue, two sons and one daughter), educ. Lillesden Sch for Girls, Hawkhurst, Kent, the London Sch of Architecture, and the Sch of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS), London, Patron Princess Esra Hospital, Princess Esra Medical Aid Soc (Hyderabad), Founder Friend of the Razumovsky Trust (London) 2005, Dir SEDEF Trustee Co Pvt Ltd since 2002, Partner Reyan LLC (Florida) sinc 2016, Mbr Golden Circle of John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts & National Symphony (New York, USA), etc, née Esra Yegane Birgen, daughter of Sheref Birgen, research chemist, from a Turkish family, by his wife, Rey’an Şehsuvaroğlu, daughter of Hüseyin Siret Özsever [Hüseyin Cahit], the poet, by his wife, Saliha Yegane Khanum Effendi, daughter of Field Marshal H.H. Damad Fathi Ahmad Pasha, of Rhodes, sometime Ottoman Minister for War. m. (second) at the Perth Mosque, Perth, Western Australia, December 1978 (relig.) and at Havelock House, West Perth, Western Australia, 11th March 1980 (civil) (sep. 1987), Ayesha Begum Sahiba [Helen Ayesha Jah] (b. at Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 26th August 1948; d. at the Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia, 13th May 1989), previously employed with the drama division of the BBC and a former airline hostess, née Helen Rosalie Simmons, eldest daughter of John Ogilvy Simmons, of Perth, Western Australia, sometime steel corporation mngr, by his wife, Mary Kathleen, eldest daughter of Albert Thomas O’Driscoll, of Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. m. (third) at the Chiraan Palace, Hyderabad, 1st August 1990 (nikah) (div. at Geneva, Switzerland, 1994), Manolya-i-Nur Begum Sahiba [Princess Manolya Jah] (b. at Istanbul, Turkey, 1955; d. there from pulmonary edema, at Liv Hospital, Ortaköy, 25th October 2017, bur. Zenlikirlikuyu Cemetery, Şişli), née Manolya Onur, educ. Univ of the Sorbonne, Paris, France, Turkish Miss Universe candidate in 1976, former wife of Süha Özgermi. m. (fourth) at Havelock House, West Perth, Australia, August 1993 (nikah) (div. at the Perth Mosque, Perth, Western Australia, December 1993) Jamila Begum Sahiba (b. 1971), Jameela Bourgos or Jamila Boularas, a former air hostess and bank attendant, daughter of a Moroccan army officer. m (fifth) at Hyderabad, Deccan, 16th February 1995 (nikah), Orchedi Begum Sahiba [Princess Orchid Jah] (b. 1958), née Ayse Orkide Kapanî, a Turkish national, grand daughter of Reşad Kapanî, by his wife, Ayşe Nedime Kapancı. He had issue, three sons and two daughters:
- 1) H.H. Azmat Jah, Nawab Mir Muhammad Azmat ‘Ali Khan Bahadur [Prince Azmet Ali Khan Mukarram Jah]. b. at Paddington, London, 23rd July 1960 (s/o Esra). Photographer and cinematographer. Appointed as Heir Apparent by his father, thereby becoming Prince of Berar with the style of His Highness, 2002. Dir Hyderabad Productions Ltd 2006-2011, Z.A.K. Healthcare Ltd, Wkz Pictures Ltd 2011, Cartier International, etc. m. at Kensington, London, May 1996, Naz Begum Sahiba [Princess Naz Azmat Jah] [Naz Guvendiren Jah] (b. 14th November 1959), née Zeynap Naz Güvendiren, daughter of Altan Güvendiren, by his wife, Evin Khanum, eldest daughter of Süha Bey Fazli Taylan, by his wife, Aziza Khanum Effendi, daughter of H.E. ‘Ali Zulfiqar Pasha, sometime Governor of Cairo, Egypt. He has issue, one son:
- a) Murad Jah, Nawab Mir Muhammad Murad ‘Ali Khan Bahadur [Prince Murad Jah]. b. before 12th December 1998, educ. the American Sch in London (ASL).
- 2) Azam Jah, Nawab Mir Alexander Azam ‘Ali Khan Bahadur [Prince Alexander Azam Ali Khan Mukarram Jah]. b. at Perth, Western Australia, 18th January 1979 (s/o Helen).
- 3) Umar Jah, Nawab Mir Muhammad Umar ‘Ali Khan Bahadur [Prince Umar Ali Khan Mukarram Jah]. b. at Perth, Western Australia, 1983 (s/o Helen). He d. January 2004.
- 1) Sahibzadi Fatma Shehkyar Begum Sahiba [Princess Fatma Shehkyar Mukarram Jah] [Shehkyar Pasha]. b. at Paddington, London, 1963 (d/o Esra). Painter and fashion illustrator.
- 2) Sahibzadi Sultan Niloufer Begum Sahiba [Princess Sultan Niloufer Elif Jah]. b. at Istanbul, Turkey, 27th March 1991 (d/o Manolya-i-Nur).
I would be grateful to hear from anyone who may have changes, corrections or additions to contribute. If you do, please be kind enough to send me an e-mail using the contact details at:
Copyright© Christopher Buyers
Copyright©Christopher Buyers, March 2001 - June 2020